Monday 27 May 2013

Positivity - why is it so important?


pos·i·tiv·i·ty

  [poz-i-tiv-i-tee]


  1. The state or character of being positive: a positivity that accepts the world as it is.

pos·i·tive

  [poz-i-tiv]
  1. Tending towards progress or improvement; moving in a beneficial direction.
I work in a customer service role within a financial institution, so every day I see people from all different walks of life. I get the opportunity to get to know the regulars, help those who have enquiries, and offer my sympathies to those who are doing it tough. However, the stigma that often goes with financial institutions is that "all we want is your money". Which, isn't exactly true. But that's not where I want to go, I want to talk about the importance of positivity.

I desire to live in positivity. I desire to live as one who accepts the world as it is - that doesn't mean I don't want to change it, but I do accept it. I see where we are as a society, and I get that. Things sadden me, and there are things that encourage me to fire up and get passionate, but I never want to dwell so much on what's wrong with the world that I forget that I have the ability to bring a change - no matter how small or large. Mahatma Gandhi is often quoted in contexts such as this, his famous words, "be the change you want to see in the world" are incredible. Luke 6:31-34 (MSG) puts it like this, "Here is a simple rule of thumb for behaviour: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them! If you only love the loveable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-mill sinners do that. If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden-variety sinners do that. If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that's charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that." Talk about telling it how it is. How do you like to be served, with a frown or with a smile? Do you like it when the person at the McDonald's window is grumpy, or happy? Do you love jumping on an airplane for the holiday of a lifetime and your flight hostess looks like she wants to jump off the plane, or would you rather her be cheerful? Clearly, most people would choose the happier of the two. Everyone wants to be served by someone who seems like they genuinely want to be there, no one wants to be treated like a second grade citizen, so why would it be okay for me to treat others like they're not worthy of my service?

Wearing a smile, asking someone how their day is (and actually waiting for a response) can make someones day, it can change their mindset. Do you want to be part of the problem or part of the solution? Positivity is a step in the right direction, it's never misplaced. It's not always easy, but at the end of the day - it's so worth it. Make someone else's day and you may just find it makes yours too.

A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. (Proverbs 17:22)

No comments:

Post a Comment